The town of Darien, Connecticut, located on the shores of the Long Island Sound, in Fairfield County, is an idyllic water side community. Darien was originally a part of Stamford until 1737, when it became known as Middlesex Parish, but it wasn’t incorporated till 1820.
Before the American Revolution, there were several small farms, a shipyard and a sawmill in town, and locals gained their living through agriculture, fishing and small ship trading. The population of Darien was barely 1,000 people before 1848. Once the Civil War was over and the railroad came to town, Darien attracted a large number of wealthy New Yorkers who built summer homes in town, and ended up moving here, while commuting to their jobs.